On Tuesday 22nd September 2020, the First Minister of Scotland announced that car sharing should no longer be carried out and businesses are urged to avoid car sharing, where possible.
The Scottish Government website has clarified this and says:
- “You should only car share with members of your own, or extended, household, and follow guidance when there is no alternative”
How will this effect businesses where multiple staff will travel in the same vehicle?
It is recognised that there may be situations where driving for work requires multiple people to be within the one vehicle, in this instance, the business is required to carry out a risk assessment and implement suitable control measures.
On such occasions, you should:
- Keep to small groups of people
- Keep your distance and take care entering and exiting the vehicle
- Sit as far apart as possible in the vehicle, avoiding face-to-face
- Maintain good ventilation by keeping the car windows open (where possible)
- Wear a face-covering for the duration of the journey
- Clean your hands before and after your journey and utilise hand sanitiser
- If the vehicle is your responsibility, clean the door handles and other areas that people touch
- If you regularly share transport whether it is a car, van, lorry etc. try and share with the same people each time
The emphasis will be on the employer who will need to demonstrate that there was no other reasonable alternative and are required to mitigate any risks of cross infection between driver and passenger(s).
If we can help you with this or any other Health and Safety issue, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Health and Safety Team on 0800 652 2610 – select option 2 for Health and Safety.